Wednesday, February 01, 2006

Tagged--I figure it out

Livewire has just tagged me. As I told her, I am so cyber naive I wasn't certain what a tag was, but then I figured it out, checking her blog...(whether I will be able to post links to the lucky folks I choose to tag myself is another question indeed).
The task posed is to reveal 5 weird things about myself (not including the fact I always have had much difficulty spelling the word weird).

1. In this cyber world I would much rather be writing with my fountain pen. But I do much enjoy the wild connections.
2. I learned to walk by instruction or assistance of my grandmother's dog, Butch. This explains, perhaps, why I did not put my heels down on the earth until I was something like 3 or 4, preferring to walk tiptoe everywhere. Butch had patiently let me cling to his fur and stagger about, gaining balance, but I was a very small person and he was a big dog. You would think with early experience walking tiptoe I'd be able to wear high heels well, but I can't.
3. Growing up I heard voices. I assumed everyone did. The voices did not say anything memorable or directive, like "St. Joan, go save France", but were like listening in on a party line (for those not old enough to know what a party line was, it was many households sharing the same telephone line). Boring, common sentences "did you buy the cabbage" "and then I told her", rushing one over the other. And now and then my name, when I was out playing in the woods. I learned, however, not to mention the voices to my schoolmates, after some interesting reactions. I do still now and then experience this, as well as what others would term visual hallucinations
4. For instance, people where people are not. And sometimes animals. Upon talking with my mother after some particularly strong sightings, when I was a teenager, she said "oh, I wondered if that would happen to you". She, and her mom before her, had sightings of a darkhaired guy in oldfashioned clothes, blue tunic, sweet face. My daughter, upon reaching her teen years, also experienced this (I had not mentioned this to her previously, but told her when she came to me with "the strangest thing happend the other day..." No, I haven't the faintest idea what this means.
5. I talk to everything. Outloud. Dogs, cats, birds, stones, trees. Drove my brothers crazy, amuses and annoys my daughter ("You don't HAVE to say hello to the sparrow, you know" Much less the telephone pole...)
And I shall send this tag along to Dr. O2 http://sweethallucinations.blogspot.com/
because he has a very interesting mind
and to Marly, who is one of the most intriguing writers around http://thepalaceat2.blogspot.com/
and to David http://constructivecreativity.blogspot.com/
and to Chittychittybangbang http://ridingtheslipstream.blogspot.com/
and to MellowOrange, because she is new to the book business and I want to nudge her into posting more: http://polaroid-diaries.blogspot.com/

Goodness. I hope I figured out those links.

13 Comments:

Blogger Marly Youmans said...

We are somewhat alike in certain weirdnesses, although there are other ones that seem especially funny or strong. But you'll just have to wait to see...

Bit horrifying how easy it is to reach 5.

5:40 PM, February 01, 2006  
Blogger LiVEwiRe said...

Thank you so much for playing along! It's interesting what you said about #3 - I go through periods of that especially when all is quiet and I'm ready for sleep. I've given up on figuring it out; and it's just bits and pieces. And I'm glad to know someone else talks to 'everything'. The correct answer is "Yes, I must talk to the sparrow!" =)

11:39 PM, February 02, 2006  
Blogger Terri said...

Hi! I found you through LiVEwIRe.
I'm especially fond of moo-ing to cows as I drive past.

5:06 AM, February 03, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

number 2 is so cuuuuuuuuutte.but number 5...hmmmmmmm

6:16 AM, February 03, 2006  
Blogger Rhonda said...

I have just discovered your blog and consider it to be a rare find! Your writing offers pictures that are rich with life... thank you for sharing them and enriching the lives of others through your musings.

3:17 PM, February 03, 2006  
Blogger Dr O2 said...

hey Jarvenpa. The dog-help was a good one! My cousin also had the same method by her side ;-)

I am flattered to be tagged yet as before I find it difficult to respond :-) tags are not easy posts and yet sometimes too informative ;-)

After I was first tagged I vowed never to respond agn but yr call I can't resist :-D. anyways it might take a long time for me to figure things out & reply but tnx agn :-)

12:55 AM, February 04, 2006  
Blogger Shirin said...

Very interesting Jarvenpa, although I must admit the part about the hallucinations did scare me a little.

6:52 AM, February 04, 2006  
Blogger jarvenpa said...

thanks to all who have commented--yes, livewire, the correct answer is probably "yes, I must..."--but my daughter is stretching her young tolerance already.
Dro2, don't worry about responding--I wasn't sure if you would, but you do have such an interesting mind (marly has responded, and confined her oddities to ones in childhood, which is clever of her)
terri and rhonda, hi and welcome..
shirin, don't be scared! but yes, there was a time when that sort of thing had me scared too (madness?!! oh dear!). Doesn't happen often, and the sense around it all is very not threatening (except when you think you are going crazy, which was a fear of my teen years; it was reassuring to have my mother's matter of fact response, and very interesting that my daughter has the same experience; even that same guy-in-blue. I just figure the universe is a lot more complicated than we realize.)

11:33 AM, February 04, 2006  
Blogger Polaroid-Diaries said...

Alas I will be soon leaving the book business. It hasn't done anything to harm me in any way so I hope to return to it later in life! But for now I feel like a change is in order and that means leaving home for a second time, so it's an office job for me to pay the bills.

I've also stated my weirdness. Though I'm not sure it competes, hehe.

5:14 AM, February 05, 2006  
Blogger David said...

I am surprised that you can remember learning to walk! I have no such memories, although I am pretty sure that I had no canine assistance. :) As to hearing voices and visual hallucinations, I am sure that you already know what mental health care professionals might think of those experiences. However, to the extent that I know you, you seem to be well adjusted in your life, so these experiences don't seem to have done you any harm. I am rather astonished, though, that four generations of women have had sightings of the same same man wearing the same clothes!

Perhaps I will reveal some of my eccentricities in a future post. :)

12:04 AM, February 06, 2006  
Blogger Polaroid-Diaries said...

Thanks for the luck! But, not a new country - a new county. From Kent to Nottinghamshire. A new country would be even more daunting, something that maybe I'll work towards. Hehe. I'll try to post more though; I can be a bit slack at times it has to be said.

1:00 PM, February 06, 2006  
Blogger Kimia said...

:D I always thought that the word Weirdness has a negative load. I didn't know that some weirdness can be this much interesting :D I talk to everything as well and I found it even better than people. They never forget anything or if they do you never notice. They are patient and fair. especially objects :D

11:03 AM, February 09, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

All right, how are we to get our Jarvenpa fix?

7:56 AM, February 11, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home